Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Fall

It is here. It officially started last Monday, I just haven't blogged about it until now. I woke up last Monday morning and it was overcast and cloudy. That was the first time that had happened in months. Therefore, it is now fall. It is a cool 65 degrees on my way to work now in the mornings, and the little woman inside of me wants to dress warmly like it's cold outside or something...

Fall is most definitely the best time of year... for clothes. You get to wear the best clothes in fall. My favorite clothes in my closet are fall clothing. Stylish jackets, like my Italian made and bought (Florince ;) jacket, but not necessarily rain gear or parkas for the cold, which are not as flattering. Sweaters are cool, and long sleeved shirts look better than short sleeve shirts.

The temperature is clearly more appreciable as well.

The only problem is that it means it is nearing the end of riding season. It is getting colder and darker in the mornings... and soon the evenings. I am debating on being an all weather rider this year. If you haven't, you should check out Scooter in the Sticks website. He just posted a bunch of pictures of his scooter (very inspiring) and a lot of them are in snow, amazingly. Now, he has a bit different viewpoint than most, and his rural joy riding is profoundly different from my urban commuting... but if he can do it... it doesn't even snow here.

I went yesterday to exchange my rubber/neoprene fishing (wet weather riding) gloves at the fishing store, but they are out of gloves right now. I got a store credit and will attempt to find another pair in a few weeks. These things are THE BEST for riding in the rain (the image got weird when shrunk, click image for a better idea what they look like).

I have a pair of rain pants and a rain jacket in my scooter at all times now (after having been caught in the rain in Lake Tahoe on my way to Reno and not being too happy about it).

I think I will invest in one of those over-priced motorcycle neck warmers (like this or this), because it will be more water resistant than my current fleece one. I may invest in riding boots as well... expensive damned hobbies :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We still got 9 glorious days of summer Rich, but i can't wait for 65 degrees days :)

Vespa Rich said...

"Officially" is in California (or riding) terms... i.e. there are clouds suddenly. :)

Kari said...

It only got up to 69 today! I'm in heaven.

I think you may as well ride all year 'round. You'll have to get those gloves and a long scarf. That would be classic. When we lived in Reno, though, I had friends who rode all year long, and it does snow there :(