Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Eye candy

This is a compilation image I created of shots of the Fabrizio Giugiaro Italdesign Mustang concept.



Click image for a larger image. Makes a great background, IMHO (I have it as mine RIGHT NOW! ;)).

I did some research and found that Ford will simply reskin the current model Mustang to give it an updated look for entry into the Pony car wars that will break out in 2009 when the Chevy Camero and Dodge Challenger concepts are released for production. This could be cool, it could be saddening depending on how they implement it. Ford is typically, IMO, conservative in their designs, so the chances of them defacing this icon are probably slim, luckily/thankfully/hopefully. See here for some spy shots captured of a test mule that has striking similarities to the Giugiaro. "There is hope!" (free ice cream on me for anyone who can name the song that came from)

There will be a 260 HP 3.5L V6 which is an increase over the current 200 HP 4.0L V6 which is impressive. The V8 is rumored to get the 5.0L again, possibly 5.4L. I even read one place about 5.8 and 6.2! The return of the 5.0L V8 almost demands that I buy one (see sidebar for past history).

Also it is possible that with the competition of the Camero and Challenger, both with independent rear suspension(poor wiki one and two), that Ford may finally have to follow suit. That would be nice, I think. Another nice thing would be a six speed gearbox. I would love to have one... standard transmission of course. Black with red leather interior please. Other persistent rumors include exaggerated flanks for a more aggressive look as well as highly modified front and rear ends and improved aerodynamics.

One repetitive rumor is a folding hard top. Surprisingly everywhere I read this they were not very opposed to the idea! Come on! It's a sports car, a performer, and it already has a small trunk and backseat. The folding hard top will add weight, lots probably, and take away from both trunk and rear seat room. I would not get this personally. Hard top all the way. Period.

Speaking of tops... please... please... please, let the all glass top make it to production some day. It may not happen until the next generation (read complete redesign) in 2012 (hopefully), but that doesn't matter. The day the all glass top mustang is made reality is the day I go and buy one. Period. That is the single coolest thing about the concept Mustang shown here and the only piece I care about.

Did you know that Porsche has a Targa with a similar design, except that a) a Porsche's roof line is much shorter than a Mustang's and b) they made it a sunroof. I could go either way on the sunroof bit, as I currently have one and it is quite cool, but could probably would most definitely sacrifice it to make the all glass roof reality.

I have never had a convertible... I wonder if they are all that?
If I was going to get a convertible it would definitely not be a Mustang, or likely anything that isn't a 2 seater. That is just me, and that is the way I feel about it. If I were to get a convertible today it would be a Porsche Boxster.

0 comments: