Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Leopard

I am installing my new DVD of Mac OS Leopard right now. I got it in the mail yesterday. They sent it to me for 9.95 since I just bought my Macbook right before it was released (same month). How very thoughtful, nice, fair, and not terribly greedy and corporate like of them (ahem Microsnot).

It took about a half an hour for my laptop to "verify my DVD". Now it is installing and "calculating time remaining"...

I am pretty stoked, new laptop, newest OS for nearly free (a 100 something dollar value!), wifi in my house. Not bad.

Oh snap! "About 2 hours and 25 minutes". Whoa.

BTW, while we're waiting for it to finish, apparently Leopard has sold 2 million copies in the first week. Not bad I guess, the best record for Apple anyway.

About 30 minutes into my 2.5 hours of installation it now indicates less than 30 minutes remaining... I still ask, as I have since the first widely inaccurate time remaining indicator appeared in the early nineties... why bother? I have a little bar indicator giving me a semi-accurate judge of remaining "stuff to do", why bother giving me a time estimate for that if you have no idea how much time it is going to take.

Finished installing, without error, and booted up in about an hour. Not bad.


0 comments: