Friday, June 29, 2007

Good info

Here is a post I put up on a flickr discussion... I thought it was informative and is information I have been trying to verbalize for a while so here it is:

MUST HAVES:
1) memory card – can’t take pictures without it! I got a 2GB will hold ~500-700 shots… more than enough for me… get extras if you must
2)50mm f1.8 – aka - the nifty 50 or the fantastic plastic, a must have in EVERY camera bag!
3) UV filter for each lens – scratch the filter – not your lens!!! While we’re talking protection – I picked up an LCD screen protector as well, for the same reason… you only get to screw up your camera body once…
4) camera bag - mine is actually a small duffle/gym bag, padded with old shirts, wrapped the lenses and camera in muscle shirts (wife beaters), works fine, carries more, doesn't look like a camera bag (away you thieves!) - along those lines - get a nice comfortable generic neoprene neck strap that doesn't advertise (to thieves) you have a canon.
5) tripod - don't go crazy! I got a $40 target one - the only one they had, it does me just fine... I also recently picked up a gorillapod for $40... it came in handy today at the zoo... i recommend one of these as well! It fits in the duffle style camera bag as well ;)
6) sensor cleaning kit - I have heard a lot about the copperhill method, and decided to order it myself, haven't tried it yet but I am sure it will work fine... $50 for the wet/dry kit is way better than $50/month to have a shop do it... and you will need to do this... the wet/dry kit allows me to give the sensor the old 1 - 2 punch, dry clean once a day or so... wet clean once a week or 2. Along with this get lens cleaning cloths.
7) A spare battery – I went the safe route (avoiding rumors of problems with generics) and got a Canon instead of a generic, it’s up to you… get 2 if you can
8) books – Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson and I also order the field guide specific to my camera (XTi)… I haven’t got either yet but EVERYONE recommends the first book… the second may be no better than my manual with pictures… but eh? What the hell… might have good usability tips and recommendations for settings/scenarios etc etc etc.
9) a wide lens
10) a telephoto lens

Things you might want, varies from person to person:
-Close up diopters for macro photography $30(much cheaper than buying a macro lens!)
-Card reader – not necessary but might make it easier, saves camera batteries while transferring (so what!?!), I was told it could damage your camera and card if it runs out of batteries while transferring… I am dubious but that is easily prevented… just have fresh batteries when transferring… or get the card reader for $30
-cable release or remote $30 – I opted for the cable release because I can lock the shutter open without having to hold the button for multi minute long exposures like star photography

Things you don’t need:
-digital frame – if you really have to have it… sounds like a waste of money to me…
-photo printer – if you really have to have it… sounds like a waste of money to me… order prints
-insurance – if you really have to have it… sounds like a waste of money to me…
-storage device – if it’s to back up your hd at home – go get it!… otherwise - get more memory cards!

0 comments: