Friday, June 8, 2007

SLR LCD screens

Did you know... that SLR LCD screens do not typically, unless specifically stated as a feature, show a "live-view" on the LCD screen? As in, with any point-and-shoot you can wave the camera around and see on the screen what the camera see from the lens. You don't have to use the eye-piece to take a photo. On SLRs, I have come to learn, this is not the case. Apparently when you step up to an SLR you are more of a professional photographer and this feature is not necessary or desirable for several reasons:
1) It is a battery eater.
2) It is not a faithful or accurate view of what the actual photo will look like.
3) You cannot gain any of the exposure data that is displayed in the eye-piece.

That is all I can think of, but there may be more. I know that one of the cameras I was considering I heard the salesman mention "live-view", but clearly not the one I got, which I am really not upset about in the least. It is probably better that I don't have it as it is not tempting, and the result is that the screen is primarily used as a large, one-stop-shopping menu/system-overview screen, as you can see in the photo of the back of the camera in the post below. This makes navigating, adjusting, and tracking the various settings much easier than say with my PAS (point and shoot) where it is all buried in some hard to access menu somewhere, since the screen is occupied displaying the image.

Just another little educational, general knowledge, worthless trivia tidbit for you. :)

0 comments: