Monday, June 11, 2007

Weekend photography experience update

This weekend was the big Mather airshow, which I chose to nearly whole-heartedly ignore; so no photography tips from that. I also just got back from a run at lunch to the store, where I purchased the aforementioned "close up diopters", which are basically lens caps that magnify the image to make a regular lens work like a macro lens. I got a set of 3: +1, +2, and +4. I have not had the chance to use them yet, but I am stoked to have them, and will use them soon.

I did, however, go to Second Saturday, and totted my camera with me. Rick showed up with his camera too. Cool! I'm not the only uber-camera dork! Way to go Rick! :)

I got the opportunity to try out my fast lens, as Second Saturday is an evening activity. The lens performed amazingly. I am SO glad I bought it. Well worth it. I knew I would want a lens that would aid me in low light photography, there are just too many situations where you want to be able to take photos of people and things that are not in broad daylight, and I don't like flashes, although the flash on this camera performs much better than on any point and shoot I have used, resulting in much better flash photographs.

I was also able to make use of my telephoto lens this weekend. I played soccer with Bowser, my dog, in the backyard and frisbee in the park, and took my camera with the zoom lens along. I was able to get some great action shots of the dog. The speed of this camera is amazing. My point and shoot was supposed to be fast, but it is slow by comparison. This camera goes to sleep after 30 seconds but is ready in a fraction of a second to take pictures once the shutter button is slightly pressed. This makes for great candid photography, one of my favorite kinds, although I am not very good at it... yet.

Being able to take 3 pictures a second is also way awesome. I caught all sorts of cool shots of Bowser because of this. I also found that I can take LOTS of photos before it writes to the memory card. It shoots until it fills the buffer, thus it is dependent on the image quality selected as well as the content of the shot, but I was able to take 32 photos of my dog in the kitchen before it stopped to write to the card. I am impressed.

Go to my flickr stream to see more action shots of Bowser and more night time shots from my walk-aboot Second Saturday.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I envy you my friend. Sierra is a really athletic dog, fast as a greyhound, and really pretty. He is a chick magnet :) but he won't fetch or catch. he is only interested in chasing after squirrels and cats :(

Did I say he was really fast?

Nice Camera BTW! 3 pix per second for a digital? I didn't think it was possible.